Recipe Throwback: Black Bean & Corn Burrito Filling
You guys! I cannot thank you enough for all your kind notes and words of encouragement over the last few days. Your support as I get over this little speed bump of a broken kneecap is very much appreciated. I am super determined in most aspects of my life, so having something that I really can’t 100% control is a new challenge. But, challenges lead to growth, and I am up for it.
I have quite a few recipes on tap that I want to try to make when I’m a bit more mobile, including:
- A lemon Luna bar re-make, TKT style with no soy
- Apple pie Lara bars
- Review of the Salad Zinger
- And some more raw desserts like the raw brownies from a while back
But for now, I’m relegated from the kitchen and 2Chli’s the Boss. I have to tell you, he has quite taken to it. An architect by day, my meals come out with the precision and layout that only someone who deals with building things all day could produce. Check out this dinner from the other night – beautiful! (I wasn’t all that hungry at this point still.) In the background, you can see my canine nurse, Pipa, and the odd juxtaposition of a bag that says “Capital City Marathon” alongside some crutches. Irony at its finest around here!
Anyway, for the next couple of weeks, I’m going to bring you some throwback posts of recipes from days gone by that you may not have seen before.
This week, it’s an easy, fast, and tasty burrito or burrito bowl filling that you can throw together in no time, and use in a burrito bowl, a traditional burrito, or, alone as-is. I haven’t posted a lot of true “cooking” recipes in a while since we don’t have a kitchen these days, so I thought it would be nice to share something warm, instead of blended. I really like this simple summer burrito filling – it makes good use of the widely available zucchini squash right now!
Black Bean & Corn Burrito Filling
Time Required: 5 minutes to chop veggies, 10 minutes to cook
- 1 tablespoon oil (I used coconut)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped into quarters
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Optional: Top with your favorite cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Add zucchini, onion, bell pepper and sauté until onion softens up, about 3 minutes
- Add corn, beans, and seasonings, and sauté until cooked through, about 3-4 more minutes
- Add salsa and sauté 2-3 minutes
- Serve with brown rice or bulgur, or roll into a burrito for a portable meal
Based on 4 servings without cheese.