Sweet Potatoes A-Go-Go: Five Ways to Enjoy The Sweets
Cravings are funny things, aren’t they? Lately, I have been all about sweet potatoes. Perhaps it’s a seasonal thing, but, sweet potatoes have been the “in” thing for me the last couple weeks.
Not that that’s a bad thing.
The sweet potato is a nutritional powerhouse! Just check out these stats for one medium sweet potato:
Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C, and, though not listed on this label, also very high in beta carotene.
With that, I thought I’d share a handful of my favorite ways to enjoy the sweets.
1. Baked with almond butter. I dare you to try this! Bake a sweet potato (or, microwave for 5-6 minutes if that’s more your speed), and then top with 1-2 tablespoons of almond butter. Not only is this delicious, it’s filling and packs a great nutritional punch. The almond butter adds some protein and healthy fats, and the two flavors mix very well together. While you’re at it, be sure to eat the skin (be sure you wash it well before cooking).
I have been eating this a lot for breakfast lately to recover from a hard workout – works like a champ and fills me up until lunch.
2. Sweet potato pancakes. You don’t have to be Southern to enjoy these – they are simply phenomenal!
3. Sweet potato and banana mash. I gobble this up like it’s Thanksgiving day whenever I make it. In fact, why don’t you make this for a Thanksgiving side dish this year and ditch the marshmallow cream?
4. Sweet potato and green pea risotto. This risotto is super easy and doesn’t require all that high maintenance stirring like most risottos. It’s pretty, too!
5. Sweet Potato Oat Muffins. Muffins are such an easy way to sneak in healthy items that you may want to serve folks that are a little…um…resistant to eating healthy items!
As it turns out, I write about sweet potatoes a lot. Here are a few other recipes that also feature sweets: