Project: Food Budget–Week 8
Another week, another dollar. Or, roughly 75 of them, I guess.
I have been consciously budgeting for two solid months now, and I’m pretty happy with the results. I really haven’t been sacrificing quality ingredients at all, and have still been able to procure pretty much everything we need week in and week out.
For those that are fans of the Trader Joe’s Partially Defatted Peanut Flour, I have heard rumors that it has been discontinued, and I bought the last pack on the shelf at our location. (It is very dusty!) I hope this isn’t true, because this peanut flour is a great and cheap protein powder option, but it seems like it is true. Also, that crazy Joe had organic mangos for $.99 again this week. I couldn’t resist!
Here’s what we ended up with this week:
|Trader Joe’s||Qty.||Extended Price ($)|
|12 Grain Crackers||1||$1.99|
|Whole Organic Carrots – 1 lb||1||$0.79|
|TJ’s Mini Shredded Frosted Wheats||2||$5.98|
|TJ’s Greek Yogurt||1||$2.79|
|Organic Fat Free Milk – Gallon||1||$5.69|
|Strawberries – 1 lb||1||$2.49|
|Bananas – 10||10||$1.90|
|Organic Brown Rice Rice Cakes||1||$2.49|
|Frozen Organic Blueberries||1||$3.99|
|Large Grade AA Cage Free Eggs||1||$2.29|
|TJ’s Peanut Flour||1||$3.49|
|Organic Unsalted Butter||1||$4.79|
CSA Box – $37:
I am bummed that my CSA box went up $2/week, but I am all about supporting our local farmers, so I guess it really isn’t that big of a deal. I am looking forward to Spring, though, when the box starts to fill up with more interesting items!
You may have noticed I bought carrots and received them in the produce box. That was on purpose. Our dog Pipa loves carrots, and we give her one every day or so as a treat.
Menu for the Week
- Monday: Bean and Cheese Burritos with Spanish Rice
- Tuesday: Oaxaca Tacos and Black Bean Stew
- Wednesday: Egg scramble with barley, kale, carrots, tomatoes and shallots
- Thursday: Leftovers (I have been rotating things out of the freezer for a while now – the gift that just keeps giving)
- Friday: Beer Base Pizza
- Saturday: Some sort of pasta bake with red sauce and spinach – I have a triathlon on Sunday, so I’m all about carbs on Friday and Saturday!
- Sunday: Going out to eat to celebrate the first race of the season
- Emily Levenson
- Maria Marz
- Veggie Converter
- Dairy-Free Cooking
- Motor City Girl In the Steel City
- Veggie Burgher
- The Happy Cactus
- The Vegetarian Salmon
- Newly Vegan
- Always Sick and Tired
- Veggie on the Cheap
- MeloMeals: Vegan For $3.33 A Day
- A Guy, A Girl, And a Dinner Plate
- The Amateur Low Carb Flexitarian