Sneaky Swiss Chard Wraps
Who says a wrap has to come on a tortilla or tortilla-like implement? If you are watching calories – as I am presently doing right now – bread products suddenly become off-limits because they are fairly calorie dense.
Mother Nature has provided us with wonderful, nutritious and super low-cal options for your lunch wrap. Swiss Chard makes a fantastic wrap. It is very durable and at the same time, pliable. To top that, its dark leafy-ness is just a nutrition powerhouse: it’s packed with vitamins C, K, A, as well as the B-complex vitamins, and a variety of minerals, including the ever-important iron. Bonus!
I made a tuna/hummus/scallion kind of mixture for this wrap, but you could really use any filling of your choice. The best part is one recipe nets out at less than 200 calories and is highly packable into your lunch bag. Pair it with some nice seasonal fruit, and you have a light, on-the-go lunch!
Swiss Chard Tuna Wraps
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Two-three large Swiss Chard leaves
- One can of dolphin-safe tuna packed in water, drained
- Two tablespoons hummus (I used roasted red pepper)
- Scallions, chopped, to your taste
- Wash chard leaves and pat dry. Remove the thickest part of the vein – you’ll likely end up with only most of the top of the leaf. I only cut out the really thick part
- Mix tuna, hummus, and scallions in a small bowl
- Spoon into Chard leaves and roll tightly