Project: Food Budget–Week 9
Two solid months down, and two months under budget. I call that victory! Though, I did spend more than my secret $300/month budget, we still came in under the published $350 goal, so I think I will lower the budget to $325 moving forward. No reason not to!
This week was another two-day shopping experience with a total of: $77.06.
Trader Joe’s: $34.44
Whole Foods: $42.62
Whole Foods had a coupon for $1 off Almond Dream products, so I tried some Almond Dream “ice cream.” It is amazing! Just as good as dairy ice cream, or maybe even better. It’s still kind of “junk food,” but, I do incorporate some treats now and then, so I am calling it acceptable. I probably wouldn’t buy it without a coupon, though, as it is fairly expensive.
All told, we netted out with:
- Fruits, Veggies, Tubers: Asparagus, avocados, bell peppers, cremini mushrooms, mango (fresh and frozen), sweet potatoes, grapefruit, kiwi fruit, pineapple, Medjool dates, dried cherries
- Milk and Dairy/Dairy Alternatives: Soy milk, coconut milk, Almond Dream
- Convenience: Prepared hummus, shelled almonds, Food Should Taste Good chips, Corn Thins
- Canned: Black beans, garbanzo beans, navy beans, diced tomatoes, black olives
Meals for the week:
- Black Bean Tostadas (made from Black Bean Croquette leftovers)
- Vegetarian Chili (I wasn’t super crazy about this recipe from Martha Stewart – it was very tomato-y)
- Butternut and Apple Casserole
- Black Bean Quesadillas