Project: Food Budget–Week 2
Week 2 and I’m back in Bend with 2Chili and our girls. Do these two break your heart, or what?!
You may notice that it appears they are standing on a beach towel. Yes, that would be the case! With a main level covered in hardwoods and an excitable dog with nails that just will not stay dull, we have laid down towels and rugs everywhere until we get more furniture to define the spaces. An-y-way.
Here is my damage for this week’s Project: Food Budget – $78 at Safeway and $9.22 at IGA. I had to pick up a couple things that I didn’t have for Test Kitchen Tuesday after my initial shopping trip, bringing our total for the week to: $87.22.
Not pictured: 1/2 gallon organic milk and 1 gallon of orange juice, fresh cilantro, fresh spinach, and a pack of corn tortillas. That’d be a map of Central Oregon mountain biking and cross country ski trails in the background…
Not a bad haul, really. However, shopping at Safeway frustrates me. They have a miniscule organic section (at our branch), and the few processed items I buy – like tortillas and canned beans – are not the quality I would prefer. I shopped on convenience this week because I rolled into town and we had nothing at the house. I just didn’t feel like going to multiple stores. Safeway is closest large grocery store, so, Safeway it was. Whole Foods, I will see you next week!
So, what were these items, anyway?
- Fruits: Apples, peaches, nectarines, pears, kiwi, grapes, blueberries, orange juice (though, that is a stretch to call a fruit)
- Veggies/herbs: Broccoli, zucchini, yellow onion, green onion, corn, avocados, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes on the vine, one bag of spinach, one bunch of cilantro
- Potatoes: Yukon/red potato mixture and sweet potatoes
- Canned goods: Black beans (2), diced canned tomatoes (2), tomato paste (2)
- Convenience foods: Flour Tortillas, corn tortillas, hummus, Food Should Taste Good multigrain and sweet potato chips
- Dairy/Eggs: Organic milk, Mexican blend cheese, cage-free eggs
And, here’s how we’re doing on the month:
Menu for the Week:
- Saturday: Black Bean Quesadillas
- Sunday: Leftover burritos from the freezer (not frozen burritos, but leftovers from a trip out to eat a few weeks ago)
- Monday: Roasted Veggie Pasta Bake
- Tuesday: Layered Vegetable Enchiladas
- Thursday: Chickpea tacos
- Friday: Black bean and corn pizza
- Emily Levenson
- Dairy-Free Cooking
- Test Kitchen Tuesday
- Red Pen Mama
- Acquired Tastes
- Fit Flexitarian
- Warm As Pie
- Katy Rank Lev
- My Inner Healthy
- Little Blue Hen
- xox, b
- What da Health?
- Project Food Budget 2.0
- Ignition Nutrition
- A Nice Heart and a White Suit
- Because Hobbies Happen
- Primary Focus Health Coaching
Have a great weekend!