A Test Kitchen Tuesday Original: Pizza Quesadilla
Hold onto your hats, friends, ‘cause today I have something pretty different for you.
I have mentioned quite a bit that 2Chili would eat a quesadilla every day if I would make him one every day. But, of course, I won’t.
For some reason, last week when I was making his usual Black Bean Quesadilla, I had a crazy idea. What if I made a quesadilla with pizza fillings instead of traditional Mexican fillings?
Holy cow, it is G-to-the-O, O-to-the-D — GOOD!
It’s like a fast calzone. It’s like a folded thin crust pizza. I’m calling this Mexitaly Fusion.
I liked this way more than 2Chili. He doesn’t like change, and he really likes his standard black bean quesadilla. He thought it was fine, but is not crazy about the spinach I force fed him. I tried to sneak it in there, but I was caught!
I think it would be good with a variety of toppings, but I went with “Hawaiian-ish.”
Pizza Quesadilla For One
Time Required: 10 minutes
- 1 10” tortilla
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tomato sauce
- Your choice of fillings. I went with:
- 2 small handfuls of spinach
- Shy 1/4 cup pineapple chunks
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat
- Spread tomato sauce over entire flat tortilla, leaving about 1 inch around the perimeter. Don’t go too crazy with the sauce or it will be runny. Less is more.
- Add toppings, fold in half, and grill for about 3-4 minutes on one side, until lightly browned. Flip, and grill about 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned
- Cut into three triangular pieces
For toppings listed above.