Project: Food Budget–Week 35Angela | May 31, 2012
On a totally non-food note, over the holiday weekend, 2Chili and I did a mountain bike race. It was my first one ever, and what a hoot! We have been having gorgeous weather in Central Oregon - while most of the country has been in a heat wave, it has been in the high 60s and quite pleasant here, just perfect conditions for being outdoors and enjoying all there is to do here.
This week, I tried something new with the grocery shopping. He had a little free time, so I sent 2Chili to the store with a list. He came back with everything on the list, and nothing not on the list. He even found the dried garbanzo beans for the little Ninja Blender flour-making test. Success!
Because I didn’t do the shopping, I don’t actually have a photo of the goods (and I am not going to complain about groceries purchased and put away without my direct involvement). We are stocked up on fresh fruit and veggies, and a few staples. For some reason, our pantry and freezer are relatively full right now, so we didn’t need excessive supplies.
- Total for the Week: $69.52
- Total for the Month: $128.54
- Goal for the Month: $350
We are WAY under budget, but that is just because we haven’t been in town that much. Our travel and eating out budgets are seriously depleted. June is looking way calmer, and that is a relief.
Menu for the Week:
We are both on “operation slim down,” as we are getting into the heart of bike racing and triathlon season. Power to weight ratio is important in bike racing, so our little treats and splurges are fewer and farther in between right now. That means meal planning is back in the forefront!
- Veggie Scrambles with beans (I have no recipe for this – it’s just an assortment of veggies sauteed with whatever beans I have handy)
- Black Bean Quesadillas with Spinach Salad
- Teriyaki Chickpeas with Brown Rice
- Vegetarian Sloppy Joes (TKT review coming soon)
- Fusili Pasta with Garbanzo Bean Red Sauce and Steamed Zucchini (sort of like a meat sauce, but I use Garbanzo Beans instead)
Want to get in on the budget action? Go here.