Test Kitchen Tuesday: Grilled Veggie BaguetteAngela | September 14, 2011
There’s nothing quite like the relationship between a man and his grill. I don’t know exactly what drives this relationship, but I do know my place in our food chain, and, it is to stay away from the grill.
So, when I wanted to make grilled veggie hoagies for Test Kitchen Tuesday this week, I had to enlist the grill master himself, Mr. 2ChiliBreadBowl.
This recipe is really not a recipe per se, but was spurred on by two recipes I saw. One was from Giada and one was from Rachel Ray, and they both involved lots of oil and mayo or goat cheese spreads. I don’t do mayo, and 2Chili is anti-goat cheese. So, I just took the concept of their sandwiches and made one I thought we’d like.
Grilled Veggie Baguettes
Recipe Source: Test Kitchen Tuesday
Time Required: 20 minutes
2Chili’s Taster Rating (out of 5): 4
Let’s be clear upfront: He really did not want to try this sandwich. In fact, I had already informed him that a peanut butter sandwich was his alternative if this didn’t work out. He had this sandwich gone in no time flat, and the PB&J didn’t happen. Success.
The Cook’s Taster Rating (out of 5): 5
I thought this was a great sandwich and gobbled it down happily. The grilled veggies are very substantial and you do not miss having meat.
- 2 summer squash, sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch slabs
- 2 zucchini squash, sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch slabs
- 2 red or green bell peppers, seeds removed and sliced into quarters
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Dijon mustard
- 4 baguettes or a French loaf divided into 4 sections
- Grill veggies for about 4 minutes on each side, until soft
- Spread Dijon mustard on one side of each baguette, and place mozzarella cheese on the other side
- Stack one slab of summer squash, one slab of zucchini, and 2 bell pepper slices on each roll and enjoy
This is based on using a whole wheat roll with 210 calories.