Project: Food Budget–Week 6
I learned some interesting things this week, not really budget-related per se, but just interesting:
- Trader Joe’s ketchup is too sweet for my taste, much to 2Chili’s excitement, because it means Heinz is back on our table. Ketchup is part of 2Chili’s three food groups, the other two of which include barbeque sauce and orange juice. And he thinks I’m a weird eater.
- 2Chili doesn’t ordinarily like brown rice, but if I make it into Spanish Rice and don’t tell him it’s brown, he doesn’t notice. Mwa-ha-hah.
- Apparently burritos doused in enchilada sauce are the “proper” way to make enchiladas, unlike my casserole style, and I have been invited to make the former version any time I please. The latter version is never to be spoken of again.
- Greens in muffins are good. Trust me.
- I have a Greek yogurt problem. It is the single most expensive item I buy weekly. But, if that’s my worst problem, I guess I don’t really have any problems now do I?
Now, on with the show.
|Trader Joe’s||Qty.||Extended Price ($)|
|Mini Milk Chocolate Bars||1||$1.79|
|Peanut Butter Granola Bars||1||$1.99|
|Organic Fat Free Milk, Gallon||1||$5.69|
|TJ’s Very Berry Clusters Cereal||1||$2.99|
|Joe’s Fresh Orange Juice, not from concentrate (got a 2 thumbs down, just like its concentrated brethren)||1||$2.99|
|TJ’s Greek Style Yogurt, 0%||2||$5.58|
|Mild California Cheddar||1||$2.67|
|Shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella||1||$3.49|
|Organic Baby Carrots||1||$1.49|
|Target||Qty.||Extended Price ($)|
|Simply Heinz Ketchup||1||$2.79|
Total for stores: $43.32
CSA Box: $35 (I just found out this is going up to $37 – this will be my last $35 box. Oh well.)
Isn’t interesting to see where all the veggies come from?
I feel like I got quite a lot for my budget this week, but I am still $3.32 over budget. I blame the Simply Heinz. Just kidding. It was really probably due to my organic mango hoarding. Trader Joe’s had organic mangos for $.99 each, whereas traditional mangoes were $1.59. I couldn’t help myself and had to buy three! Yum, yum, yum!
Menu for the week:
- Monday: Leftover cashew cheese ziti
- Tuesday: Bean Bolognese
- Wednesday: Lentil loaf sandwiches and red potato oven chips
- Thursday: French Bread Pizza and arugula salad
- Friday: 2Chili-style enchiladas
- Saturday: Paninis
- Sunday: TBD
Here are my partners in budgeting – check ‘em out!
- Emily Levenson
- Maria Marz
- Veggie Converter
- Low Budge Veg
- Dairy-Free Cooking
- Motor City Girl In the Steel City
- Veggie Burgher
- Baked Beans and Broccoli…Vegetarian Budgeting
- Sweet Rehab
- The Happy Cactus
- Newly Vegan
- Always Sick and Tired
- Veggie on the Cheap
- MeloMeals: Vegan For $3.33 A Day
- A Guy, A Girl, And a Dinner Plate
If you run a blog, you might want to check out this opportunity to win $100 from Swanson Health products. (That would help with budgeting, huh?!)
Have a blog? Want to win a $100? Check out the Swanson Health Blog.