Blueberry Pie Energy Bars (AKA DIY Lara Bars Part 2)Angela | January 25, 2011
I have been on a DIY Lara Bar tear for a while, necessitated by some seriously busy work days lately. They make a great on-the-go snack, especially when you’re seriously on the go.
Since I figured out how to make a reasonable Lara Bar facsimile, I haven’t found myself willing to pay for one already made. Funny how that works!
Anyway, this week, I was out of dried cherries, but had dried blueberries, so I went to work figuring out a new flavor of my “Angie Bars.” I think this is my new favorite flavor! They are pretty sweet, so if you’re watching the sugar, perhaps up the almonds and reduce the blueberries a bit. But, especially pre-run, bike, or swim, when I’m after a bit of sugar, these have really been hitting the spot.
Blueberry Pie Energy Bars
Makes: 3 bars
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- Pit and chop dates into big chunks
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the almonds until they are well chopped. I blended mine to almost almond butter consistency in the Ninja, but this is not necessary.
- Add blueberries to the blender and blend until the almonds and blueberries are well integrated, about 30 seconds to a minute
- Add chopped dates, and blend until the mixture comes together – this took about 30 seconds for me
- Pour mixture onto a sheet of wax paper larger than the mixture, and fold the paper over the mixture
- Press the mixture down with your hands into a rectangular shape about 3/4 inch thick
- Place the formed rectangle into the fridge for about 2 hours to harden up, and then cut into three equal portions
- Store wrapped in wax paper or baggies in the refrigerator
Based on 3 servings.