Simple and Filling Kale Salad
Since I am going it alone in Seattle this week, I thought I would share a recent favorite salad recipe today instead of a normal Test Kitchen Tuesday recipe. The salad base is very seasonal right now, as kale is a winter crop.
High in vitamin K, C, A, manganese, and even fiber, kale really is a super food, and a hearty kale salad can really hit the spot. with a bowl of soup or sweet potato on the side. I threw this together a couple of times last week and found myself really craving its flavor combinations.
Can people crave kale? Yes, I do believe so.
Easy Kale Salad
For the salad:
- 2-3 handfuls chopped kale (you can get it prewashed, chopped, and bagged at Trader Joes – so convenient!)
- 1/2 cup plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 5 cremini mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 6 black olives, sliced (or 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 avocado, chopped
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- .5 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar free jam (strawberry is my preferred)
- Place all ingredients on a plate or in a large bowl
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and pour over salad
This makes a HUGE salad, all for under 400 calories, including the dressing. While it is somewhat high in fat, it is all from healthy fat sources – avocado, olives, and olive oil. This salad will keep you full from lunch until dinner.