Peanut Butter ‘N Oats “Clif” BarsAngela | May 31, 2011
Did you have a good Memorial Day weekend? I hope so!
For ours, we did a lot of yard work and weeding, and I had plenty of exercise on tap leading up to Boise Ironman 70.3 in two weeks. I finally got in an open water swim, which was very, very cold – the lake was 56* F!
I’m now in the home stretch, and officially starting the “taper,” which means I get to reduce the length of my workouts from here on out. There are still plenty of sessions, they’re just shorter. And, I’ll be visiting the lake quite a bit in these last two weeks – gotta get ready for the icy swim leg in the big race!
In the meantime, I concocted a new energy bar somewhat on accident. I had three jars of almost used up peanut butter (seriously, why??) that I put to work with some oats and dates and it came out almost exactly like a peanut butter Clif Bar, but with just three ingredients. This made five bars, but of course I had to eat one to make sure it was good – and, it was hard to stop at just the one!
Peanut Butter ‘N Oats Energy Bars
Makes: 5 bars
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the dates until they are broken up considerably, but not totally pureed
- Add peanut butter and blend until combined
- Add oats and pulse to incorporate; If your mixture seems dry, add a little more peanut butter. You want it to hold together, not be crumbly
- Pour out onto wax paper or foil, and, roll into 5 equal balls
- Flatten balls and form into somewhat oval shaped bars
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator