I just finished reading a great book called “The Road Back,” which I would highly recommend to anyone that facing a major life challenge, obstacle, or, that simply needs a little inspiration or motivation.
This book chronicles the story of a young man, Matt Miller, who had an incredibly promising future, and one day, accidentally rode his bike head first into a car moving at 40 miles per hour. The story is nearly impossible to put down, as we learn about the miraculous recovery he made – from being inches away from death and defying all odds – to completing an Ironman while going to medical school. I was captivated and inspired by the true story.
What on earth does this have to do with pumpkin pie smoothies?
Well, you see, during his recovery, Matt’s jaw was wired shut but he had to consume a huge amount of calories each day so his body could heal. His solution was to blend everything (see, I knew I liked this kid), including his Thanksgiving dinner. He threw turkey, gravy, and stuffing into the blender and mixed it up. He also tossed his pie into the blender and liquefied it. His blended pie (which I think was apple), gave me the idea to make a pumpkin pie smoothie.
It’s the right time of year for pumpkin, and, it’s always the right time of year for smoothies! So, below, I present you my healthified pumpkin pie smoothie – packed with nutrition so you don’t have to feel guilty about eating dessert for breakfast!
I get a lot of questions about proportions for using the single serve cup with the Ninja Blenders, so I wrote this recipe for a single serve cup. It will also work with a Magic Bullet or Nutribullet sized cup, or, just your regular blender.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Suggested Ninja Blender Jar:
- Ninja Pulse: Single serve cup
- Ninja Professional Blender: 72 ounce jar with standard blade, or single serve cup if you have it
- Ninja Kitchen System: Single serve cup
- Ninja Mega Kitchen System: Single serve cup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or preferred milk)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- 1 small ripe banana (less than 6”, or half of a large banana)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or to taste)
- 14 raw almonds
- 1/2 scoop preferred vanilla protein powder – optional
- 4-5 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in the single serve cup for your Ninja blender, pulse a few times to combine, and then blend for about 30 seconds, or until smooth
Made with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1/2 scoop Plant Fusion protein powder.