I am a lucky indeed — I work from home most days. And while our home is a bit of a disaster zone do to our in-progress remodel, it is still nice to spend the day with our dog and cat at my side. And sometimes, they are at each other’s sides. What am I going to do with these two?
Even though I work from home a lot, the days can be rather hectic, with back-to-back meetings a good portion of the week. I try to get out of the house and take my lunch someplace to have human interaction, but sometimes that’s just not possible. And that’s when the meal replacement smoothie comes into play. With very little prep work I can have a filling and nutritious lunch – which is really just a big blended salad!
When doing meal replacements, I typically just toss what’s available in the fridge along with some nutritional boosters into the blender and see what happens. In general, I try to create balanced drinks that have protein, fat, carbs, and fiber to keep me full and my mood stable. I mix veggies and fruits to help balance the sweetness. Here’s what I ended up with one day last week, and it was filling, and importantly, tasty!
This smoothie has almost your entire daily value of potassium, 9X your RDA of vitamin A, 4X your Vitamin C, nearly half your iron, and significant amounts of many other vitamins and minerals. In other words, there’s a lot of nutrition in this cup!
This smoothie has almost 600 calories, which is just about right for me for lunch (I am 6 feet/160 lbs). You may need more or less depending on your size, so adjust accordingly.
Kitchen Sink Green Smoothie
Best Ninja Blender Jar Choice:
- Ninja Pulse: 48 ounce jar with standard blade
- Ninja Professional Blender: 72 ounce jar with standard blade
- Ninja Kitchen System: 72 ounce jar with standard blade
- Ninja Mega Kitchen System: 72 ounce jar with standard blade
- 8 oz coconut water
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 mint sprigs
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/2 cup frozen butternut squash cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 fresh mango
- 1/2 cup cantaloupe chunks
- 2 handfuls chopped kale
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 scoop favorite protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dulse powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon maca root powder
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender
- Pulse to combine
- Blend on high (3 for Ninja blenders) for 90 seconds-2 minutes to thoroughly combine
Based on 1 scoop Jarrow Optimal Plant Proteins as the protein powder.